Family 1

Husband: James Bowra
Born: Dec 1846 in Shorne, Kent, England
Married: Jun 1883 in Pyrmont, New South Wales, Australia
Died: 1903 in Granville, New South Wales, Australia
Father: John Bowra
Mother: Mary French
Spouses: Jane Woods
Wife: Catherine Rosetta Carttling
Born: 1848 in Highgate, Middlesex, England
Died: 1928 in Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia
Father: George Carttling
Mother: Esther Carttling
Spouses: Peter Richard Cooper
01 (F): Jane Elizabeth Bowra
Born: 01 Nov 1884 in Pyrmont, New South Wales, Australia
Died: 26 Jan 1972 in Kogarah, New South Wales, Australia
Spouses: John B McLean
02 (F): Alice Beatrice Bowra
Born: 1886 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Died: 1962 in Newtown NSW Australia
Spouses: Albert H J Byers
03 (M): George B Bowra
Born: 1888 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Died: 1889 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
04 (M): Joseph Edwin Bowra
Born: 1891 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reg 300

Died: 1973 in Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia
Reg 54229

05 (M): Samuel B Bowra
Born: 1894 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Died: 1974 in Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia
Revised: June 24, 2015
Joseph Edwin Bowra 1891-1973

Joseph Edwin Bowra Eumungerie
Daily Liberal & Macquarie Advocate 15 August 1922
Wellington Times 17 August 1922
Daily Liberal & Macquarie Advocate 18 August 1922
Coroner's Inquest. VERDICT OF SUICIDE. The Coroner, Mr. G. Meeson, held an inquest on Wednesday into the circum- stances surrounding the death of Ernest Brabin, who was found dead in a hut on Mr. Linke's property, 'Leura,' on the Collie to Eumungerie-road on Sunday afternoon last. Sergeant E. G. Allen gave evidence that at about 9.30 a.m. on the 14th instant he went to a hut at "Leura," Collie Road, Dubbo, on Mr. Linke's property, about two miles from the home- stead. Lying on a mattress in the hut he saw the body of a man, who was dead. He was lying on his back with his face turned towards the right. There was a pool of blood on the floor, and alongside the body was an open razor (produced) lying in the pool of blood. There was a deep gush across the throat, and blood on the clothing on his chest. The body was fully dressed, except for coat and boots. There were no signs of a struggle. He searched the body and found a quantity of papers (produced). On one of the papers in the pocket there was writ- ten with an indelible pencil the words "Good-bye, Joe." There was also an indelible pencil (produced) in the pocket. Dr. E. H. Burkitt, Government Medical Officer, residing in Dubbo, deposed that on the morning of the 14th inst., with Sergeant Allen, he saw the body of a man named Brabin in a hut on Linke's property. He heard the evidence of the previous witness, who has accurately described the condition of the body. A transverse wound across the neck, three inches in length, had severed both carotid arteries and jugular veins, and had also opened the trachea. Such a wound would cause almost immediate death, and could be self-inflicted. He should think that death had occurred 36 hours previously, rigor mortis was well established, and no putrefactive changes had occurred. The body was bleached, and several pints of coagulated blood were on the floor. He formed the opinion that death was due to haemorrhage from the wound described. Joseph Edward Bowra, laborer, deposed that he resided at "Leura," Collie Road. Deceased and witness were mates. ' Prior to deceased going to work at "Leura" he had been drinking heavily at Dubbo and Eumungerie. On Tuesday, August 8th, wit- ness left Eumungerie, and went to "Leura" to work, and was in deceased 's company most of the time after the 8th. They were digging-out rabbit burrows and burning off timber. Deceased complained that he could not sleep, and on Saturday he said people in Eumungerie were saying things about him and witness. He said he denied these things, but the people would not believe him, and were coming out to hang them. He said the thing had been on his mind for some time. He left deceased at the hut at 1.30 p.m. on Saturday, 12th inst., at "Leura." Witness wanted him to go to Eumungerie with him, but he refused, and said he would have a sleep. He threw witness' coat and rug on the back of the sulky and said, "Good-bye, Joe,'' and then walked into the hut. That was the last time witness saw him alive. His manner was not strange when he helped witness to harness the horse. Witness went to Eumungerie, and left deceased alone at the hut. Witness returned on Sunday afternoon about 3.30 or 4 o'clock, and went straight to the hut. When he opened the door he found deceased lying down with his throat cut. Witness touched him, and found he was stone cold. He saw a razor lying alongside the body. The handwriting (produced) was very similar to deceased's. The words "Good-bye, Joe," were written in what was like his writing. He told witness he had a brother at or near Junee. Witness could not say whether his life was insured, but he did tell witness that he had a small block near his brother's. He could not say whether he had any money in the bank. In his opinion death occurred either on Saturday night or early on Sunday morning. Witness was always on good terms with deceased, and they were the best of mates. The Coroner found that the deceased died from haemorrhage from a wound in the throat, self-inflicted.
Daily Liberal & Macquarie Advocate 15 March 1941
Daily Liberal & Macquarie Advocate 6 April 1954